On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> I need to configure a Linux box as a transparent data sniffer between an
> Internet connection router and the subnet hub/switch to which it is
> connected (see ASCII art below)
>
> Before:
>
>       }                                 +-------------+
>       }  +--------+                     |             |-------
> I'net }--| router |---------------------| switch/hub  |------- subnet
>       }  +--------+                     |             |-------
>       }                                 +-------------+
>                   A                                   B
>
> After:
>
>       }                                 +-------------+
>       }  +--------+     +---------+     |             |-------
> I'net }--| router |-----| sniffer |-----| switch/hub  |------- subnet
>                   A     C    |    D                   B

Use bridging on interfaces C & D - don't give them IP addresses, just let
them act as transparent devices - put an isolated IP address on interface
E for management/data dumps.

Take your sniffs from the raw device files on interface C & D rather than
the IP addresses.

There are bridging utilities for Linux which should do it.

DaZZa