Couldn't you make your sniffer box also act as your firewall (after all
it's a Linux router/firewall)?
Your after shot is similar to my network design.
A is my internal interface for my ADSL Modem, C is my firewall external
interface, E is to my DMZ and D points to my LAN.
My DMZ contains Internet bound Servers, My LAN contains Beta servers
and workstations. My firewall is running IPtables, and snort. I can
run tcpdump off any interface.

--
Regards,

Kevin Saenz