On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 09:31, Ken Foskey wrote:
> I was thinking of getting a laser / fax combo.  The boss lady wants a
> simple fax and I can use this to get my laser printer.  On the lower
> price point.  It must run under cups and toner must be in the
reasonable
> range.  Any suggestions.

I don't have your exact answer but...
I recently bought a multifunction printer (inkjet (which is not what
your looking for but anyway...) from HP (Officejet 4110: supported only
via CVS compile, under Redhat 9 (+ fixes)). As far as I know HP are the
only company which have any support for multifunctional devices under
Linux. (ie: Brother, Canon, Epson *don't* (AFAIK)).

If you are going to go HP you might want to check out:
http://hpoj.sf.net/ (HP linux drivers)
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/ (HP's linux page +filters)

Some other Linux printing resources:
http://LinuxPrinting.org/ (all the linux printing info you could ever
want) and in particular:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/vendors.html (lists general vendor support)

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html appears to have some good
info as well which might help, and in particular (to contradict my
earlier statement re Canon):

"For a working multifunction device, consider the Epson CX3200 and
CX5200 (use kernel 2.4.21 or newer); or one of the HP OfficeJet or PSC
devices supported by the HPOJ project such as the PSC 2150 or PSC 750.
Avoid Lexmarks, Canons, and Brothers."

(I don't think the Canon's have fax tho, :-(

Erm, if you *really* want laser, HP I believe have some nice network
printers (in the higher price range ~ $1,200 AU, which appear to work
with any OS(?), they use things lie FTP + email to transmit data(?)).

And in any case, if you find anything good or bad (*especially* if you
find a cheaper multifunction laser ) could you post back to the list
(and or myself?) I'd *really* link to know :-)

I bought my printer from OfficeWorks (www.officeworks.com.au). I asked
regarding printers under Linux (and both people I talked to about it
even knew what Linux was!), they told me that I could return the printer
if I couldn't get it to work. (YMMV)

And don't take my word for it, I have only been looking at linux
printers the last couple of weeks...
Brett