Hi - I'm new to this group, and relatively new to linux....
(I work in it every day and have done for the past 8-10months or so - but
it has been all in VI editing HTML & PERL scripts etc. so no specific
linux commands besides the basics)

but now I have reached a point in the PERL scripts that it sends emails
out to a list of users... however, when they receive them, it is addressed
from 'nobody'. We REALLY REALLY need to change that!!!

I use the command 'mail'  in the form
mail -s subject [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /tmp/mailout.$$

You're better off using the Perl module Mail::Sendmail to send mail (and no, this doesn't use the sendmail program undeneath).

  %mail = (
    from => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
    to => '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
    subject => 'Hello world',
  );

  $mail{body} = <<EOF;
    Some silliness
  EOF

sendmail(%mail)

You need to be running a SMTP server on the local
machine (like sendmail).  You might need to alter
the configuration of this to
 - let you send mail off the box
 - be looser about checking 'From' addresses

Usually if you find yourself calling an external
program in production code then it's a hint to
go looking for a suitable module.

Cheers,
Glen