James Gregory wrote:

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 00:02, Brad Kowalczyk wrote:

James Gregory wrote:

I would do what the other poster suggested -- use minicom to test that
your computer is in fact talking to the modem. Then you can be sure of
the port etc, and you can punch those details into kppp or mcc or
whatever and work from there, knowing that at least you've got the
physical connection in place.

Yep, my pc is talking to the modem, it dials and I login through the terminal but nothing 'sees' the connection ie I cant ssh, telnet or use a browser.

Ok, so the connection is staying up and kppp is reporting that it's still there? what interfaces does ifconfig list (just ifconfig, not -a, don't specify an interface).

I have somehow now lost my ppp0 entry, ifconfig now only lists the loopback interface

What does your routing table look like?

just the loopback

You
basically need two things -- a link and a route to get packets to the
internet. The link in a ppp connection will be to a single IP address.
It's listed in the info that ifconfig gives you. See if you can ping
that IP address. If you can, then it's almost certainly a routing issue,
or perhaps name resolution.

I tried using linuxconf to settup my ppp (as per a ppp howto) but it still does not work and now my system hangs on bootup while trying to bring up the ppp0 interface. I'm affraid I'm wasting everyones time with this, I really dont seem to know what it is I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help and suggestions anyhow.

Brad