At Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:52:14 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > You also want the list of installed software, which you should normally be
> > able to get from apt....  Hmm.  Presumably you can get it from looking
> > directly at where apt stores its files.
>
> dpkg -l
>
>   or for just the package names:
>
> COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}'

I would have used "dpkg --get-selections" and later piped that output
back into "dpkg --set-selections".

Its not quite as robust as jdub's, since it will (pretty much) only
give you a list of the *installed* packages.  So long as you're
starting from a minimal base system the second time round, it'll do
the right thing - and its nice and easy.

--
 - Gus