I have just upgraded my machine from stable to sarge (I specified sarge
in my sources so I stick with it when it becomes stable).  Apart from
the fact that Gnome is broken, things have gone quite smoothly so far.

I would like to use a more recent kernel.  I looked at the kernel
packages, and there are zillions of them!  I suppose it's a good way of
handling all the variety of targets for binary kernels, but it's a bit
of a shock when compared to all the other packages.

Anyway, I decided to go with  kernel-image-2.4.21-4-686.  I have a
single CPU PIII, so this kernel seemed like a good fit for me.  I did an
apt-get -d install (-d to download only) and apt decided to download
kernel-image-2.4.21-4-686-smp too.  I don't understand this.  The smp
kermal was not listed as a dependency for the non smp kernel.

So, would some kind soul please tell me:
o If the kernel I'm trying to install is a reasonable one to go for?
o Why I got the bonus SMP kernel?
o Will the bonus SMP kernel be installed too?
o If apt-get install will Do The Right Thing to make the non-SMP kernel
bootable?

Many thanks,
        Bruce

Bruce Badger