At  3:41 pm, Tuesday, September  2 2003, Bruce Badger mumbled:
> So, would some kind soul please tell me:
> o If the kernel I'm trying to install is a reasonable one to go for?

Indeed. 2.4.21-4-686 (or 2.4.21-5-686, at a pinch) is okay.

> o Why I got the bonus SMP kernel?

I'd need to see the output of apt-get to determine that.

> o Will the bonus SMP kernel be installed too?

You said to apt-get to only download. Therefore, I'm to assume you're going
to use dpkg -i to install it, in which case, no.

> o If apt-get install will Do The Right Thing to make the non-SMP kernel
> bootable?

Keep in mind if either or both kernels are installed, your machine will
remain bootable. SMP or non-SMP it will still boot. An SMP kernel is not
dependant on having more than one CPU.
That doesn't answer your question, however. If you use lilo, yes, installing
the .deb will do the Right Thing.

Cheers,
--
                                           Steve