<quote who="David Fisher">

> Removing plptools-kde ...
> dirname: too many arguments
> Try `dirname --help' for more information.
> dpkg: error processing plptools-kde (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
>  plptools-kde
> You have new mail in /var/mail/david
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
>
> Is something in the apt database on colossus corrupted?  At least, how
> can I get rid of this thing?  I don't have a Psion PDA, don't wan't a
> Psion PDA, and if this is the way the software to support them
> generally behaves, will never get a bloody Psion PDA.

No, this is just a packaging problem. As it says in the error, the pre-
removal script had an error in it (a problem with dirname, given the
output). The pre-removal script will be:

  /var/lib/dpkg/info/plptools-kde.prerm

Jump into that file and see what the dirname problem is. It may just be that
you can comment out the broken line and it will uninstall happily. Also,
when you're removing things that you really don't ever want again, it's
useful to use --purge, which will also remove any configuration information.

- Jeff

             http://www.xach.com/debian-users-are-beatniks.html