Thanks Brad and everyone else who contributed

ssh does allows me to log in as root. When I enable X forwarding I am also able to run gedit over the network remotely. Now I am happy.

Why though, is it OK to log in as root using ssh and not telnet? Aren't I just as likely to get my packet sniffed (so to speak)?

I had to actually install a telnet server. Is ssh some sort of extension of telnet? I didn't seem to have to install a ssh server?

Thanks Brad

Brad Kowalczyk wrote:

Paul Davies wrote:

Question 1) I can telnet to the machine - but I do not seem to be able to telnet to it and log in as root. Is it not
possible to telnet to a machine as root?

I use ssh (and you should) to login to a server I use and I have to login as "admin" (or other user) and then use the 'su' command to become root.

Question 2) Once I have telnetted to a machine I would like to be able do something with a file. I can copy and delete files
etc no problem. I cannot however seem to open up a file on a remote computer and view it on the local computer with gedit
for example. Could someone point me in the right direction on going about achieving this.

Don't know about telnet but I can do this with the (GUI) ftp client I use. I can select the remote file and choose "veiw" or "edit" and it opens the file in the default text editor. I suppose most graphical (and command line?) ftp clients would have similar features.

Though why not just edit the file on the remote machine with pico, vi, emacs or your favorite editor?
eg pico /path/to/myfile.txt

Brad