On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 06:56:48PM +1000, Lucas King wrote:

> i have RH9 install on my PC.  it has been running fine for the last
> several months.  i am now attempting to install Expect.
>
> in order for that to happen i need to install Tcl.  i have found the
> Tcl/tk rpm files on the install disks which i have attempted to install
> using the RPM package manager.  however, i am having no end of problems.
>
> #rpm -ivh tcllib-1.3-88.i386.rpm

That's "tcllib", not "tcl".  tcllib will need tcl, but I don't think
that tcl needs tcllib.  It certainly doesn't on RH7.3 (I have both
expect and tcl installed, but not tcllib).

>     tcl is needed by tcllib-1.3-88
>
> i am no expert in package managers but i am reading this as if the
> package that i am installing requires itself to be installed, but

A simple misreading, that's all.  You tried to installed "tcllib",
which needs "tcl" (look for tcl-8.3.5-88.i386.rpm on your RH9.0 CDs).

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]