On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:51 am, Voytek wrote:
> I've just tried to switch to an X session from command line, and, it
> seems the machine locked up solid, the screen has starnge pattern, I
> can't switch back to char. mode session, CTRL-BS doesn't help, C-A-D does
> nothing:
>
> is there any key combos to try just before I reach for the big red switch
> ?
>
> Voytek Eymont

You *might* be able to telnet or ssh into the box assuming it's on a network
and you have a spare machine.  By the sounds of it you might be out of luck
:-/  If it's a Sun box, STOP-A then do a SCSI reset has yielded some
results for me in the past, but never from a multi-user run-level.  YMMV.

--James