I did it :)
For those of you who have had problem getting your Ipaq running with
linux. Here goes. I don't know if this will help those of you with Ipaq
5xxx.

This is for RedHat and Mandrake users, I guess it would work for distros
that use rpms. I downloaded and installed the following.

multisync-backup-0.80-1
multisync-evolution-0.80-1
synce-0.8.4-1
synce-multisync_plugin-0.8.2-1
multisync-0.80-1

ran
dccm -p xxx123

synce-serial-start

if all goes well you should hear your Ipaq make the funky little sound
as if it was connecting to a windows machine.

then I ran

multisync

added a new Synchronize Pair

First plugin: Ximian Evolution
Secont plugin: SynCE Plugin

My entire LDAP contact list, todo's, and Calendar were copied to the
Ipaq and vice versa

Synce has gone a long way compared to 6 months ago.

--
Regards,

Kevin Saenz

Spinaweb