Not sure exactly what you problem is. I have Cygwin on XP and this works
for me.

1. Grap the latest setup.exe and setup.ini and put it in a download
directory (for me ...My Documents\Kits\Cygwin)
2. Choose the option to download to a local directory (the same as
above)
3. Download the files as appropriate
Cygwin installer will then exit
4. Rerun the cygwin setup.exe
5. Choose to install from a local directory (as above). (Make sure it
has the correct "root" directory for destination (for me C:\cygwin)
6. Choose to install (or not) the various packages

By changing the view in the setup window you should be able to easily
see (in a single list) which packages it is choosing to
download/install. It may be for you these aren't checked as required.

Martin Visser ,CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Technology & Infrastructure - Consulting & Integration
HP Services

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone *: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile *: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail * : martin.visserAThp.com