I'm sure there are a couple of different ways to handle this.

I did it through recompiling the kernel with:

no support for IDE CD devices
support for SCSI CD
support for SSCI gerneric devices
support for IDE-SCSI emulation

worked on reboot, fstab just needed to be modified to /dev/scd0 > /cdrom

Regards
Brett

Ken Caldwell wrote:
<quote who="Terry Collins">

Shaun Oliver wrote:

hi all, I have here a reco mp70-40a 4x ide cd-writer.
I'm attempting to run it on debian woody.
how does one set up scsi emulation for this device?

There is a HOWTO on this.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
btw. how should I enter in the information in /etc/fstab?

Also, you may need to do a kernel upgrade.

I recently asked this question and Ken Caldwell posted what he did to
get it working under Debian Woody.

I really should have posted to the list anyway. This is what I wrote:

<quote who="Terry Collins">

8<---

I do not have the ide-cd.o module on my system anywhere.
I was wondering where it comes from (source).

The problem is I am trying to get a IDE CD-burner working on the Debian
system and without this module, I can not access the other CD drive.
Usual stuff, which I have done before, but this time, that module is
missing.

Hi Terry,

I rebuilt my "Woody" box this morning.  You are right the default kernel
2.4.18bf does not support a CD burner.  I think you may be wrong about
the reason though.

What I did was to run modconf and install the "sg" module. (you need
both the "sg" and "ide-scsi" modules but the "ide-scsi" module was
listed as having already been installed.  I then cd to the /dev
directory and rm cdrom followed by ln -s scd0 cdrom
This was insufficient to get cdrecord working so I did
aptitude install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386 and rebooted using that
kernel.  I am burning a CD using the box (not this box) as I type.

I will be out for an hour or so but will be home later this afternoon or
this evening. Feel free to 'phone if you have a problem.

cheers,

Ken

-- Brett Fenton General Manager NetRegistry Pty Ltd _______________________________________________

http://www.netregistry.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 96996099  |  Fax: +61 2 96996088
PO Box 270 Broadway  |  NSW 2007, Australia

Your Total Internet Business Services Provider
Trusted by 10,000s of Oz Businesses Since 1997

This email is from NetRegistry Pty Ltd. The contents of this message are commercial and in confidence to the intended addresseee.

The message may contain copyrighted and/or legally priviledged information. No person or entity other than the intended recipient may read, print or store this message, including any and all attached files.

The intended recipient may not forward this message to any third party without express written permission from NetRegistry Pty Ltd.