Xun,

What process writes those entries to syslog? Mind pasting the actual syslog
entries to the list?

Bill

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:21:48 +1100 (EST)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear all:
>     Yesterday, the IT support people at my work place informed me that my
> local workstation (which is running debian testing/unstable) was
> broadcasting windows Randbot worm throughout the internal network and
> several win2k workstations got infected. How could that be?  I checked
> my logs, there are quite alot of error message "xx.xx.xx.xx sent an
> invalid ICMP type 11, code 0 error to a broadcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on
> eth0". I've checked info regarding to this particular worm on the Net,
> nothing in relation with Linux turned up. Anyway, I was forced to take
> my box off the network. Can anyone give me some clues of what is
> happening.
>     Have I got broken into?? FYI, I have been lazy not setting up a proper
> firewall on my machine (which I am very much regretting now), since I
> thought company firewall should take care of that. I have only the
> essential services running on the machine ie. ssh, samba and nfs. I
> did run a quick chkrootkit and nothing turned up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Xun.
>

> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux User's Group - http://slug.org.au/

Billy Kwong                     Fluffy Spider Technologies
System Administrator            Suite 87, 330 Wattle Street
                                Ultimo, NSW 2007
Phone: (02) 9281 9055           Australia
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]