On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 17:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> No, I have not uncommented the local master = yes line in the smb.conf file.
> I think the default is not to become a master, right?

NO!

[I'm no expert, but that declared assumption made me want to check - I
get myself into trouble all the time that way :)]

>From http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html :

        "This option allows nmbd(8) to try and become a local master
        browser on a subnet. If set to no then  nmbd will not attempt to
        become a local master browser on a subnet and will also lose in
        all browsing elections. By default this value is set to yes.
        Setting this value to yes doesn't mean that Samba will become
        the local master browser on a subnet, just that nmbd will
        participate in elections for local master browser.

        Setting this value to no will cause nmbd never to become a local
        master browser.

        Default: local master = yes"

AfC

--