On Thu Dec 11, 2003 at 19:08:30 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 18:43, Benno wrote:

>> >Windows shared source:
>> >read - tick
>> >make (and implicitly use) your own changes - no tick.
>> >

>> Don't underestimate the usefulness of being able to read
>> source code.
>
>You said that "I care *more* about reading code to find bugs, and being
>able to make my own modifications, " To which, I replied with an example
>where b) (not b2) only fulfilled one of the two things you listed as
>caring about. MY assessment of the usefulness or not of reading source
>code has *nothing* to do with my answer.

Yes, sure, and I said replied saying how just being able to read the
source code is still useful, regardless of whether you can modify it
or not. Simply pointing out how I still find that useful, even if it
isn't *as* useful as having the code *and* being able to fix the bug
myself.

>> Of course if you had proper documentation and no bugs
>> it would be a non-issue.
>
>This is in complete contradiction to your statement quoted above.
>
>Whats up with that?

How is it in contradiction? If we had quality software which worked
as advertised, and never had bugs then reading the source code wouldn't
be needed.

Of course, this is not the case, and most products do have bugs. Which
is why I like having the source and the ability to fix the bug.

Benno