Since installing 2.6.0 on my laptop, my soundcard no longer works.

There's hiss on the speakers, that changes volume when I adjust the
master volume slider; but there's no output from anything: cd (via
xmcd) /dev/dsp (cat x.wav > /dev/dsp0) the PC speaker, or even using
the ALSA utilities (aplay x.wav).

It's an I810 with AC'97.  The funny thing is it doesn't work now even
for kernels that used to work (e.g., 2.6.0-test10, or 2.4.23)  I even
tried booting from the Knoppix 3.3 CD to see if it was a stupid
configuration option in /etc/asound.conf

The funny thing is that if I turn off the machine, I can play CDs
through the front panel switches.  I guess that this bypasses much of
the sound card internals.

I'm using Debian unstable on a Clevo 56000P laptop.

The other possibility is of course that the heat's killed it.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*