AndrewD said:
> OK for Xmas received a copy of the Jet CD Get Born, but having placed
> it in my PC to play I find out it is copy protected. Is there  a way
> around this so that I can play these CDs (Mandrake 9.1) or do I just
> ring up EMI and abuse the shite out of them.

If I remember correctly, it's a purposeful corruption of the "checksums"
placed in the CD data - most audio players check the sum, notice it
doesn't match, but say "aaah stuff it, they won't notice a bit of
difference" and play it anyway.  Most PC CD-ROM players see the checksum
problem and go "oh no, it's corrupted" and go apeshit.
Some CD-ROM drives can be told to STFU about it, and they'll play it
(probably even rip it, too).  Dunno which models are good for that,
though.
What you certainly *shouldn't* do is play the CD on your audio CD player
feeding into your PC soundcard, rip the tracks, OGG them, then take the CD
back for a refund because it doesn't play on your PC.  <g>  Does it have
the Compact Disc logo on it?  If so, I think Sony wanted to hear about it,
as they're claiming conformance to a standard they don't actually conform
to...
- Matt