> I have PHP Version 4.1.2 on RH7.3 Apache 1.3x, which is about
> the latest PHP build as available from RH RPMs via RHN;
>
> I'd like to install a more recent PHP build with the current
> Apache 1.3x; as it seems I can not get it from rhn's RPM,
> what do other do in similar predicament ?
>
> does the PHP binary differ between Apache 1.x and 2.x, can I
> install a PHP meant for Apache 2.x?
>
> presumedly I can simply install a newer php library, if i do
> that 'manually'
> will the RPM system get very ofended ?

You should be aware that RedHat is no longer releasing errata for 7.3 as I
understand it. This means if a security hole is discovered tomorrow you will
be in a very difficult situation and will probably be forced to shutdown
services while you build them, etc. etc.

You can download and install Php. The RPM system will be very offended and
confused. When you try and install something requiring PHP it may screw up
or whatever. But what are you going to install? Redhat 7.3 no longer has any
new programs. I would imagine you have most of the stuff out there requiring
PHP that you want.

As of December last year I was in your position, now I have changed to
Debian and not looked back (assuming this email gets through ;-). Its
awesome. Apt-get makes me feel like god. Best bet is that you change OS,
unless you can use the Fedora RPMs (I don't think you can?).

Joel