Hi Slug

I really dont see any gotchas, the most important thing when
upgrading kernels is to keep the old kernel image around, usually
when you do the 'make install', make will create new links to the new
kernel and retain the old links. These links should turn up in the
lilo or grub boot screen.

About the only thing I ever come across is when make writes to the
lilo or grub config file it uses LABEL to point to the root partition,
and I have to alway change this to the actual device, refer to
/etc/fstab for you root device (this could be a RedHat problem?).