On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:24, Greg Brennan wrote:
> I'm interested in installing Linux on my home pc. I've heard
> that Mandrake is probably the best for a beginner like myself, but I'm
> having trouble finding a copy of this or any other version. As I would
> prefer not to order online, I have been scouring newsagents trying to
> find a copy included with a magazine (as recommended by the SLUG
> website and others) with no luck. Do you know of any current
> publications that have this included, and if so, which newsagents in
> Sydney City might stock it?

Mandrake is 3 CDs usually, but I haven't seen it on the front of a
magazine recently.
However, You can get a copy of Morphix (based on the cutting edge Debian
distribution - sometimes referred to as unstable) on the cover of PC
Authority. It runs from your CDROM and has a link on the desktop to
install it if you like.

Knoppix (based on the Debian Woody distribution) was on the last issue
of Atomic magazine. It works like Morphix except that to install it to
your HDD you have go to a terminal and type knx_install to start the
install process.

I don't usually recomment Debian, but Morphix looks really neat - it
even includes The Gimp 1.3 and OpenOffice.org 1.1.0.

HTH
Stay well and happy
Heracles