On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:55:47AM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > As unfortunate as it is, I think the only way to combat spam is to
> > make it expensive to send by default.
>
> Interesting thing to advocate on a high volume mailing list of (almost
> entirely) legitmate mail. Of course the figures you propose would
> probably be affordable by SLUG and similar organisations, but not by all
> providers of community mailing lists.

That's why I said by default.  I think exemptions would be made
almost as a matter of course; certainly for solicited mail such
as mailing list mail.   btw, Dave Farber the interesting-people
mailing list guy had this objection too.  He's got 10,000 recipients
so it's a serious problem for him.

I've left alone the issue of who decides and who imposes the cost.
Perhaps these are too intractable and we're stuck with spam forever.

> Of course, with major email providers beginning to shift to blocking
> *all* list mail by default unless specifically whitelisted, the burden

Is this happening now?

> of running or belonging to a mailing list may soon be too high to
> justify. Pity.

Matt