<quote who="Simon Wong">
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:35, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > P.S. It appears to still require a limited-license binary firmware, and
> > doesn't have a lot of features finished yet, but it's a step upward from
> > having to load the windows driver using ndiswrapper.
>
> ndiswrapper works fairly well though for basic infrastructure
> connections (I used it at LCA2004 with NO problems).

Yeah, same. It works pretty well. A few hiccups with WEP, but otherwise
good.

> I hope this project progresses further and faster though...

I wish that it didn't have the binary firmware portion, although I can
understand why Intel chose to do things that way.

> Did you try it out?

Actually, I got distracted putting out a new gst-editor release and forgot
to.

> How did it compare against ndiswrapper?

Here's the cut and paste from the website, seemingly saying that it should
be ok for unencrypted links if there are no errors encountered :)

What it does:
    * Build (tested in 2.4.23-25, and 2.6.1-3)
    * Initialize the firmware
    * Scan and associate
    * Limited support of iw* tools
    * Infrastructure mode
    * Dynamically load the binary firmware image from /etc/firmware/ipw2100-1.0.fw
    * Fragmentation (Tx and Rx)

What it doesn't do:
    * AdHoc mode
    * WEP
    * Restart the firmware after a 'fatal interrupt' received.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Open Source Software: Free as in Free Speech, not Free Beer