This may seem crazy but my adventures this month just seems so. I replaced
my motherboard [1] to which it decided to crash regularly. Thus I went to
investigate a possible cause: bad sectors [2], in which I managed to kill
30GB of useful data.

The crashes are still occuring, and *ONLY* in Linux. My dusty ECI Client
only using Windows 2000 partition has survived, which is now assisting me
PuTTying. Prior applying a drastic weight plan on my hard drive my system
regularly locked up and crash on Linux (post new motherboard). Although
that partition is flattend, I still jump into knoppix (and variants) and
experince lock ups.

I was just using Knoppix to use my TV Card, and it decided to lock up, I
left it locked and ran to the TV to finish whatever I was watching. Came
back my system off and wouldn't power on... on closer inspection, a nice
smell from the PSU. I think PSU's have a timer to allow power after a
certain time as I am using it now.

Now is it my motherboard not being nice to my existing PSU, or does the
PSU need to leave. The PSU is 5 months old (300W). A decision I have to
make tomorrow as I visit the local PC shop.

[1] http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2004/03/msg00171.html
[2] http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2004/03/msg00200.html

--
Simon Males <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>