On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 02:30:12PM +1100, Geoffrey Cowling wrote:
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> ./setup: cannot connect to X server :0
>
> so I have to logout as user and login as root on X11...
>
> why?

Because of X authorisation (xauth).

If you are the only using this box, do a
'xhost localhost' before su'ing.  This will
allow anyone on the local machine to connect.

If you're not the only one, well don't do this,
use xauth instead; export the xauth cookie
from your account and import to root's xauth.
(let me know if you a detailed howto; or google
for it)

Or ... you might try ssh'ing to the same machine,
and login as root (if you can). This will end up
using the original accounts authorisation.

I believe there is a PAM module for X that you
tell su to do option 1 above automgically, but
the details escape me at the mo.

Matt