On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 02:30:12PM +1100, Geoffrey Cowling wrote:

> sorry for such an elementary Q... :-(
>
> I thought you could do ANYTHING as root..
>
> Debian Woody -- su to root to install e.g. OO.o, error message:
>
> glibc version: 2.2.5
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> ./setup: cannot connect to X server :0

X11 is a network protocol.  It's not affected by the user ID of the user
trying to connect, it just makes sure that user can present the right
credentials to be allowed access.  This is usually stored in .Xauthority
in your home directory.

So, after su'ing, run

# export XAUTHORITY=/path/to/homedir/.Xauthority

(where /path/to/homedir is, of course, the path to your regular user's
home directory, usually /home/username)

--
Pete