If you are really strapped for cash I would suggest getting a nice PC,
plenty of hard drive space, put Linux on it, mySQL, Apache, PHP (or mod PERL
if you have a programmer), and also think about putting released CAD
drawings separate from completed CAD work.

Yes that seems like the option i would like to start with, it would be cheap enough so i would not have to take a pay reduction to implement it.!!

Having all data stored on a central server would be the first step, even if this would create some issues with file accessibilty speed, the option of each user copying the relevant file to their pc then working on it and then recopy to the server may have to suffice until either a file sychro software system or gigabit lan is installed! Upon completion of this then we can think about utilizing one of the database packages - deal with that when we get there!

Thankyou for those who spent their valuable time replying. Jill, Phil, Peter, Ben, Chris, Ken, Piers and Hercacles!

I am very grateful.

gerard

Aeronautical Design Engineer
Gerard Blacklock
Auto Avia Design P/L
Ph.  61 2 9791 0164   Fax  61 2 9791 0175
http://www.autoavia.com.au