This one time, at band camp, Harald Richard Ashburner wrote:

> How is this done?
> I've not yet come accross a decent tutorial or HowTo doc that takes an
> idiot (ie me) through the process of buying hardware that will work with
> linux.

Quite simple, really: only buy products that explicitely say they work
under Linux.  Now I understand this may limit you somewhat, but it's
good practise and will encourage such manufacturers.

Another option is to ask the retailer if it will work under Linux.  In
high-pressure sales places like Hardly Normal, you'll probably find
they'll agree to anything to make the sale and help their sales targets.
If they explicitly say it will work with Linux (try to get it in
writing), they must give you a working replacement or refund if it isn't,
in fact, fit for purpose.

The biggest problem is that manufacturers regularly change their chipsets
and on-board designs without notice and without incrementing the model
number.  So you might read someone's report online about it working out
of the box, only to find your one is a completely different device.
Wireless networking kit is notorious for this!

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

 "Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly."
- Simeon Strunsky