On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 09:30, Peter Rundle wrote:
> Sluggers,
>
> I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this problem, otherwise I must be
> going mad.
>
> I have two linux boxen, one of which is an internet gateway masquerading for the
> other
> using iptables. When I try to access a web site using Mozilla from the masqueraded
> box it
> fails miserably waiting forever for the reply packets. However, if I telnet to port
> 80 of
> the site I get an immediate response. I can also ssh out to other servers on the net
> no
> problems. Now before you jump to any conclusions, the advanced proxy settings in
> Mozilla
> are set to direct connection to the internet.
>
> Now things get really weird. If I run squid on the gateway and use an iptables
> redirect of
> 80 to 3128 (Rob's comments about transparent proxying not withstanding) then Mozilla
> is
> happy as Larry. ???

Ok, here's a checklist to run on the machine running mozilla (with the
interception rule in iptables disabled)
1) dig/host/ping bad-wed-address
   we are just looking for correct name resolution - we don't need to
actually ping.
2) telnet <address> 80
   type in between the ==='s (case unfortunately matters on some
servers):
===
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: <the-host>

====

If this gives you the web page, then mozilla is whacked. Chances are
though that something will break.

If everything is fine until the second CR, then you probably have a MTU
issue. See man iptables and put a MSS clamp rule in as they describe.

Rob