Sluggers,

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this problem, otherwise I must be going mad.

I have two linux boxen, one of which is an internet gateway masquerading for the other using iptables. When I try to access a web site using Mozilla from the masqueraded box it fails miserably waiting forever for the reply packets. However, if I telnet to port 80 of the site I get an immediate response. I can also ssh out to other servers on the net no problems. Now before you jump to any conclusions, the advanced proxy settings in Mozilla are set to direct connection to the internet.

Now things get really weird. If I run squid on the gateway and use an iptables redirect of 80 to 3128 (Rob's comments about transparent proxying not withstanding) then Mozilla is happy as Larry. ???

Ok what gives am I

a) going mad

b) being suckered by some hidden mozilla (drive pete crazy) option selected.

c) something else I don't know about I.e Internet bug #23876412282?

Cluesticks?

TIA's

Pete