On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 04:14:52PM +1000, Bill Bennett wrote:
> A Cd contains one giant file. I will have to edit this (and
> in the process, it would be nice to remove any foot shuffling,
> bronchial egoists, etc.)

You can rip the single track, chop it into useful sized tracks, ripping out
the bits you don't want, then filter each track separately for any other
noises you want to get rid of, then reburn.

Tools for the task:

* cdparanoia does a good job for the ripping.

* audacity looks as good as any for the actual editing part.  You'll likely
need a large chunk of HDD space to hold the single large track plus all of
your chopped bits.  I can't remember what I used for my audio editing last
time I had to play with that.

* For specific filtering, sox is a good general-purpose sound-modification
program.  You can do all sorts of fades, band filtering, and pretty much
anything else you're likely to want to try.  Sox can also do your chopping
for you, if you know the length and temporal position of all the individual
parts you want.

* cdrecord is *the* tool for CD burning, although you may possibly want to
use a graphical front end like xcdroast for the task.

> Has anyone had any experience with this kind of task?

A bit.  I've done some rip/reburn work for performances, and also some
dubbing/filtering work for live recordings (court cases mostly - not mine!).
I'm no audio engineer, though, so there might be better tools than the ones
I've used.  Note also that most of what I've suggested above are command
line tools.

- Matt