Hello,

One of the customers wants to run Linux Enterprise
Server 3 with several modems attached to it.

They purchased HP ProLiant DL380 server and
wish to use NetComm modems.

The issue is that hey wantto have "unbreakable"
evnironment and that modems do not fail
under Linux.

I have spoken to Netcomm and their official response was
that none of their modem products officially support Linux,
and no drivers and technical support were available for Linux.

Red Hat offers support for the CDC/ACM driver, which is
classified as "Working".

>From experience, if a modem is a full hardware based modem
and using serial interface for external modem, then it can be
worked with Linux.

Only two NetComm modems are full hardware devices:

AM5698 NetComm Roadster V.92 (serial interface)
AM4068 NetComm Wave V.92 (serial interface)

The question is: is it worth playing with Linux support for
modems on what customer wants to call mission-critical
server?

What is you experience? Do you run, or are you aware
of any critical environment where Linux servers are used
with directly-attached (or through a hub, Adaptec for example)
modem pool?

I know that Linux can work for reasonable use, but the
services that customer have in mind are higly critical and
highly utilised round the clock...

I welcome and thank you for any comments in advance.

Regards,

Dusan (Amateur Radio VK2COT)