On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:29:42AM +1000, Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:08:17AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >
> > From my understanding, there can only be one copyright holder over a
> > specific creative work.  When two or more entities both claim copyright
> > over a work, they're actually claiming rights over different parts of the
> > work.  Identifying whose parts are whose isn't always possible, but that's
> > not an issue in the case under discussion.
>
> This isn't true -- copyright law allows for joint ownership of copyright for
> a work, i.e. both owners have full rights to copy the work under any licence
> conditions they wish, independently of each other.

Who has standing in the event of infringement?  See my other recent missive
on the topic for more details of the issues involved.

> OpenOffice.org appears to exactly this arrangement for its contributions:
> see the FAQ entries about their Joint Copyright Assignment at
> http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#jca1

Looks like the NetBeans FAQ, with more meat.  In particular, I'd like to
know their basis for it not being "legally necessary" to show copyright
interest in a work.

While it's true that all creative works automatically have copyright held by
the author upon creation, this is a different issue.  If I rip off something
that has "(C) Sun Microsystems" on it, and get a letter from J. Random
Hacker's landshark requesting cease and desist, I'm going to laugh at it
(or, possibly, get my landshark to write a laughing letter back), unless
there is a lot more evidence to it than that.  Good revision control log
messages will help there, but I wouldn't want to rely on that if I was
trying to sue someone for wilful infringement.

- Matt