thanks to those who replied.. it's true that I jumped to conclusions,
assuming that ATO assumed that I'm using windows (something they have
done in the past!).

It is in fact a PDF file masquerading with .asp, and opens fine on my OSX
box simply by asking it to open the file with acrobat. Now I have to pull
it apart to get the information I REALLY need.