On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 Lester Cheung wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:11:42AM +1000, Ken Foskey wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 23:10, Simon Males wrote:
> > > I just need a rant for a KVM. When i im at home i wish to use standard
> > > keyboard/mouse and screen which will be shared by my desktop and laptop.
> > >
> > > The kvm will require USB ports as my laptop cannot take PS2. I've had a
> > > quick browse, and kvm's are not exactly cheap :(
> >
> > Why do you want a kvm at all?
> >
> > I use my laptop to 'X -query mydesktop' to connect within my home lan.
> > Works a treat.  The alternative is to ssh in with the -x option.
>
> Synergy maybe just for you. :)
> Debian package in proper...

I only use my KVM when I need access to the physical machine (usually when
booting a machine and I therefore can't get networked access). The rest of
the time I find VNC works perfectly getting me to any of the other
computers I need to access, and is often better than using the KVM - I can
easily work on multiple desktops, swapping between them as required.

I have found problems with my KVM and Windows 2000 and ghosting. Using
exactly the same computer and monitor and resolution and refresh rate in
Windows 2000 and X Windows System - the Windows 2000 display will have
ghost images, but X does not. No idea why this is. It is a cheap KVM, but
I would expect it to have the same problem in both OSes with the same
hardware and configuration.

Regards, Andrew