Alan L Tyree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Problem: running X I get logged out after about 20 of inactivity. It
> happens no matter what window manager I am using.
>
> It does not happen from a text console, so I presume it is not the
> kernel or bash.

I reckon Harald's suggestion of the screensaver is worth looking in
to again. I don't think it's a security safeguard.

To configure the screensaver in gnome,

Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Screensaver

I guess you could turn it off, or change it to blank the screen only.

Uninstalling the screensaver might be a good test, too. I think the
packages you want to look for are xscreensaver and xscreensaver-gl.