Alan L Tyree wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:22:11 +0200
Johnny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alan L Tyree wrote:

This is still driving me crazy and I would be grateful for any help.

System: dead standard Debian woody with 2.4.18-bf2.4 + security
updates+ Login.app + sylpheed 0.9.12 backport.

Alan, I'm still very new to linux, so I could be way off track.
Look at power management, it sounds very much like power management kicking in , failing and logging you out.
Try
*xset -dpms*
In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 comment out Option "DPMS"
Its not supported in woody 2.4... this will stop the system trying to suspend to disk.

That did it Johnny - a thousand thanks!
Cheers,
Alan

Ah... good, so you see South Africans are good for a few things, when you need help on Linux and when you need to kick someones butt in rugby :)
One of the things I did to learn linux as fast as possible was join Lug's all over te world, I highly recommend it, the linux community should bridge international borders. You also discover other things, like in SA our Telkom monopoly is ripping people off. We pay almost 6 times more for an ADSL connection, our tel rates seem to cost as much for a local call as you guys pay for an international call. Its so expensive that it was cheaper for me to go buy the whole linux mirror, than download just the full debian.
Our TV monopoly doesnt look like its ever going to move to terrestrial digital tv, I see you guys are already buying DTV cards. Our wireless laws are so strict, (monopolies protecting themselves) that I think we'd be arrested if we had a wireless fest. There are crazy laws like you not allowed to transmit across a road :(
From here, Australia looks really good.
Some of the guys in the US are unbelievable, from the way they answer questions, I
think they working on the Linux projects.
Anyway good things come when Lugs go across borders. One of things we going to try is make cheap
802.11 antenna's for long ranges, our labor is cheap, and we want to upset our monopolies a
little, going to call the antenna's "Telkom Toffee's" :)
So who knows one of these days this South African may also be good for cheap antenna's

Linux is definitely growing here, thats a good thing.

regards
JT