<quote who="Bruce Badger">

> I can't get sound on my new XPC :-(

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
>
> ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): Device
> or resource busy
>
> Which I guess means that snd_pcm_hw_open thinks that /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> is being used by something else.
>
> ... but what?  How can I find out what is already using my sound device?

Yeah, you got an nforce-based board in it? Stupid, stupid sound chipsets in
these ones. Oddly enough, I got a shuttle recently too, and it's a big step
back for sound hardware (from an sblive).

Use fuser or lsof to find out what has the device open. Sure you haven't got
a stray esd process going? :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

    "...and did you know that Twisties have real cheese in them?" - Dave
        "I didn't even think they had real twists in them!" - Andrew