On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:19, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bruce Badger">
>
> > I can't get sound on my new XPC :-(
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open
> > /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
> > Which I guess means that snd_pcm_hw_open thinks that /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> > is being used by something else.
> > ... but what?  How can I find out what is already using my sound device?
>
> Yeah, you got an nforce-based board in it? Stupid, stupid sound chipsets in
> these ones. Oddly enough, I got a shuttle recently too, and it's a big step
> back for sound hardware (from an sblive).
>
> Use fuser or lsof to find out what has the device open. Sure you haven't got
> a stray esd process going? :-)

Why, I *do* have an esd process running!  How did that get there?  I see
nothing in /etc/init.d.  It's not a module.  Yet there is is, bold as
brass, sitting right under init.

While loathe to just kill the thing, I did anyway.  And lo!  Sound!  So,
what is the humane way of exterminating a feral esd?

But, you're right.  It is crap sound.  I get a kind of crackling noise
in the background, and thisr really gets in the way of the old Berlioz.

As it happens, I have a spare PCI slot in the XPC - should I just
transplant my old SB Live, or even get a new card?  And if a new card is
the way to go, are there any recommendations for sound cards for XPCs
running Debian sarge these days?

And so we see that it is true that, given an inch, I'll take a mile :-/

Many thanks,
        Bruce
http://www.openskills.com