> I started playing with it but really didnt like the performace of a flash, it
> writes like a rocket when it starts and then slows down badly, when it starts
> getting full.
> Also read somewhere that a flash does have limited read writes, its a big
> number but I think if something like the swap and cache in on a flash it wont
> take too long to hit those limits.

no /var either.. log files wil kill it ..

> kernel on it, then reboot and "say there you go".

what wrong with a CD? costs less.... why would a flash help here.. you are
really looking for a better installer (even a scripted installer ...)
maybe RH kickstart could do what you want ..

Use a RH or Fedora kernel why would you want custom kernel they build
all drivers as modules, there is no great advantage to a custom kernel,
you lose vendor security updates.. have you seen kudzu at work you boot
up with a new piece of hardware it nearly always finds it..

I only build my own kernels now for development reasons (and I'm a kernel
developer :-), my main PC at work still runs the RH default kernel...

I also develop filesystems for flash cards for my day job ..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person