Hi,

Just experiencing some crazy problems with ‘named’ (dns).

Our web server (which is also our gateway to the Internet for our office machines) serves as a DNS and sporadically over the last couple of days, for no known reason, named keeps failing and every now and then (between 15 minutes to a few hours) it will just, stop. I restart it using ‘service named restart’ and it says that the shutdown of named failed, but startup is OK.

Originally (not knowing what the problem was) I reset our web server, so it’s not just some bug in startup, and we have made NO changes that should effect it’s workings at all.

Just weird. =/

I’ve looked through the cronjobs & there’s nothing that even comes close to the failure times, so I can’t see what the problem might be.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, or have any idea what it might be?

When ‘named’ “fails”, it simply won’t let us view our website, or any other site on the net using domain names. IPs work fine.

Using Redhat 7.3 I think

Here is a quick dump of ‘rndc’ – (when named is working unfortunately, haven’t been here for last few failures)

*------------------------------------------------

[root]# rndc status

number of zones: 28

debug level: 0

xfers running: 0

xfers deferred: 0

soa queries in progress: 0

query logging is OFF

server is up and running

I have no idea how that’s going to help, but who knows? Not me  = )

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Jared Pritchard

The Waterexchange Pty Ltd