the ide driver will be built into the kernel.
you can either type 'lspci' or watch while your machine
boots or look in /var/log/messages

it could be a conflict with pata and sata buts hard to
say without more details you know. your kernel is a little
old but not chronically old. it would be worth updating
if possible. i dont know if mandrake has a nice update
method or not. thats kind of why i use debian. but mandrake
will still rock your world.

but without knowing specifically what your hardware is
its hard to say if there are known problems and what the
state of support linux has for your hardware.

Dean

Rod Butcher wrote:
Thanks Dean. Is it possible that IDE doesn't work too well together with SATA ? I have Mandrake 2.6.3 kernel, and I don't want to touch it for a few months yet... by then I'll have a list of things to do to it !
It's stable now and I want to keep it that way.
What command do I issue to find out what IDE driver is loaded ? Is it a module or builtin to the kernel ? The Controller and devices must be OK if they work OK for Win 2k, so it can only be driver or incompatibility with SATA surely ?
thanks
Rod
Brought to you by a thunderbird, penguin, gnu and a camel

Dean Hamstead wrote:

yeah you can just get pci card - ide controllers.
but first of all i would make sure your running the latest
version of your distribution of choice.

you could upgrade your kernel (which is effectively what
im saying) but i would just stick with easy steps for now
and just make sure your distribution is up to date and
hence that your kernel is fairly new.

you would have to find out what chips you are running
exactly then see how well they are support.
generally though most of the hardware problems of the
past have gone. most of the big manufacturers now give
out specs i believe. they are pretty much killing themselves
now if they dont. i think creative pretty much proved
that being silly about it just gets your hardware
blacklisted and when you release specs (and crap
drivers) assuming your hardware is good someone will
fix them nicely. sb live is what i was refering to.

initially black listed but now probably the best sound
card for linux.

Dean

Rod Butcher wrote:

Thanks... how do I check what IDE controller I have ? I have a $99 Gigabyte board with all Via chips. How do you use a separate controller ? PCI board ? (be patient with me, I'm used to Windows and "don't you worry about that").
thanks, Rod

Dean Hamstead wrote:

ide is way better on linux than in windows
but that all depends on the support for your ide controller
chip (so basically the driver)

options include upgrading your kernel or getting another ide
controller. i just bought a nice silicon image pci ide controller
for $40 whole dollars that gives me another 2 channels ata133

Dean

Rod Butcher wrote:

Newbie here again... I think I've narrowed dow my "system flakiness" during heavy audio editing to a 10-gig Seagate IDE drive I was using for temp work files... switching these to the main SATA 120 gig drive results in a stable system. Reason for using the IDE drive was to try and spread the disk IO around. My IDE CDROM R/W drive is also flaky on Linux... both IDE devices work great on Win2K dualbooted on the same box. So - is IDE known to be flaky on Linux, or is it a matter of me configuring my system better ? The CD Burner is old anyway and only writes these days at 2x, so I need to get another one soon - question is, what type should I get to suit Linux ?
thanks
Rod