Here's a really elementary question about symlinks that's taxing my limited mental capacity:

I want to write some php apps to be made available to a number of virtual hosts on a web server. It seems to me that you should be able to put the apps themselves somewhere outside the web root, for instance '/usr/share/phpapp', and have a symlink from the virtual hosts web root, i.e.:

/var/www/host.domain.tld/phpapp => /usr/share/phpapp

Then in the application directory have a config file which includes a host-specific config file:

require_once('../config/phpapp.php');

To my mind, this should fetch '/var/www/host.domain.tld/config/phpapp.php', but it doesn't; it looks for '/usr/share/config/phpapp.php'.

My question is, why? And the supplementary question is, how do I get the behaviour I'm after?

Matthew.

--
0419 242 316 ... (02) 6658 1607
(Save as HTML or RTF)