Bill Bennett wrote:

I'd like to try to upload an old LP from a turntable.

Sox has been recommended.

Well, on checking the method, I'll need a soundcard.

I don't know wehther the laptop has one built-in.

Can anyone tell me? (The laptop is an IBM 600e Thinkpad,
approx 7 years old.)

If it turns out that there isn't one inside, can anyone
suggest/recommend one, please?

Yes, the laptop does have a soundcard built in. The only problem with the ThinkPad 600 series is that there were a few different cards that IBM used in them. They're all Cirrus Logic cards of some sort though. I have a ThinkPad 600E and its card doesn't work at all under Linux.

In Windows it works, but does weird stuff like drop 100ms of sound each second or something. Very weird. Probably my laptop though :-)