Many thanks for the reply.

Well, I've progressed: I now know that the laptop *has*
one.

I'm a bit apprehensive about this. My laptop was given to
me by someone who bought it in the USA, which is a
roundabout way of saying that IBM (Australia) don't wish
to know me.

Presumably drivers differ with soundcards.
Is there a Linux command that will tell which
soundcard model is present (modprobe? pokewithbaton? tchaikovsky?).

Bill.