On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 23:59 +1000, Elliott-Brennan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I've tended to find solutions (or ways around) with the help I've
> received, so...
>
> When I initially loaded Linux, it was a freebie on a magazine
> "Australian Linux Journal": Mandrake 10.0 Community. USB worked find - I
> was pleasantly surprised; printer worked first go, "out of the box" as
> they say. My current distro is Mandrake 10 Official and... Noooooooo. No
> USB? Very weird. Found this out when trying to config the scanner and
> printer. Downloaded and installed SANE (I find their instructions very
> unclear) and found out that when I tried USBview it tells me there's no
> file:
> 'cannot open the file /proc/bus/USB/devices'
> I looked and could find /proc/bus/USB/ but no 'devices' ???

Ok, when you're using a modern distro, you can generally ignore any
advice that starts with "go to http://<not your distro>, download blah
and install it". It's probably about to walk you through the hardest way
to do what you want to do. Sane is packaged for mandrake, so the easiest
thing to do is to use the "Software installation" thing in "mandrake
control centre". It will be somewhere in there and you can install it
with a few mouse clicks.

> Cat /proc/bus/USB/devices comes up with the same 'no such file or
> directory'.

That sounds distinctly like the USB drivers have not been loaded. I
think just loading 'usbcore' is enough (can anyone verify this?). Try
typing 'modprobe usbcore' as root and see if that file suddenly appears.
Post back when you've tried that and let us know what happened.

Also, run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' as root and plug one of your
devices in. You should see a bunch of stuff go past when you plug your
device in.

HTH,

James.

--