All Hail to James :)

(sorry for the length of this one)

James suggested that I check my BIOS - which prompted me to recall that
I had loaded Mandrake on *another* machine. A quick check and there it
was 'usb disabled'. Should have checked first, I know (mea culpa, mea
culpa)

"Enabled" and there is my printer - now working - and my scanner - not
working.

So... Should I uninstall SANE (which I installed using
sane-backends-1.0.14.tar.gz) and re-install from my Mandrake 10 discs?
Or keep what I've got?

I ran 'which scanimage' and it shows /usr/bin/scanimage

[blah blah]$ sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a5 [Color], product=0x2060 [
FlatbedScanner 13])t libusb:001:003
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported b

 # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

[blah blah]$ scanimage -l
[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /path/to/your/firmware/file.bin.
[snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.
scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:001:003 failed: Invalid
argument

[blah blah]$ locate snapscan.conf
/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf

[blah blah]$ su
Password:
[blah blah]# which scanimage
/usr/bin/scanimage
[blah blah] # sane-find-scanner

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a5 [Color], product=0x2060 [ Flatbe
t libusb:001:003
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not b

I went through HardDrake and that seemed fine. When I boot up Xsane it
says "failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:003' invalid argument.

SANE site talks about editing config files but not what to actually put
in there. By the way, this is a Diamond View DV648U which is apparently
a clone of the Acer flatbed 13.

Any suggestions or directions gratefully acknowledged.

Patrick