try running filemaker in wine

Dean

Phil Scarratt wrote:
Edwin Humphries wrote:

I'm trying to convert my personal PC use from Windoze to Linux. But there is a Win application that I've used for a long time for flat-file databases: Filemaker Pro. It's much better than other simple Win databases (eg, Access) and it isn't Microsoft!

Can anyone suggest a Linux alternative? My key database is a database of my experimentation with bush food plants (yes, I know geek and gardener seem somewhat contradictory :-). This has several fields that contain bitmaps (photographs of plants). I know about SQL databases, but it seems a tad overkill for this - and there isn't a simple GUI front-end.

Short answer: there is nothing that replaces Filemaker Pro or the like. One of the areas I think is lacking in Linux (more than happy to be proved wrong of course). OpenOffice does an OK job at being able to create an interface for the DB backends, but it's not as "user-friendly" as the Windows apps available - although it's more than a year since I was experimenting and it could well have changed (most if not all aspects of OO have only improved). I'm a little surprised that OO can't handle (as others have reported - I've no idea myself) bitmaps when the DB backends can.

Filemaker Pro is originally a Mac program - is there an OSX version? There may be a Linux version if so. May be worth sreaching.

Fil